Hello crafters! Martina here with a step-by-step showing how I created one of the cards shown on the last Hochanda shows with Mandy. I used the Mr Sprocket stencil, among others, with
Alchemy Waxes, Structure Paste, Rusty Patina and Starlight Wax and went completely steampunk/grunge/industrial with this one, making a complete mess of my fingers and everything else!
I started by cutting a piece of strong card to act as the base for my topper. I then used a square die from my stash to cut the middle out and create a frame, keeping the middle for later on.
With the frame size/width decided, I used lots of different stencils and picked out little interesting elements. I used Structure Paste through each one onto some blank card and set aside to dry. When ready, I cut my elements into squares, rectangles and other shapes to give some interest to my frame.
Now for the messy part! Using Magi-bond Glue, I arranged my shapes all around the frame, making sure to cover every section. I overlapped some pieces and put some at an angle, so nothing was ‘perfect’; any overhanging edges I cut off later.
Whilst that was drying, (it did take a while as I had used an awful lot of glue!) I set about creating the centrepiece. I trimmed my square middle section that I had die-cut earlier, taking a few mm off each side. I then covered the whole topper with some Café Crème Rusty Patina. Using the Mr Sprocket stencil, I masked off the section I wanted to use, making sure it fit just inside the trimmed square.
Using some Black Starlight Wax through the stencil, I added Mr Sprocket. To take some of the harshness away and add a slightly worn look, I used some Bronze Alchemy Wax on my finger to lightly dust over the whole image.
Going back to my frame, I covered the whole thing in a layer of black Gesso. With my foundation in place I could then add some colour.............
Again using my finger, I applied some Peridot, Bronze and Copper Alchemy Wax over the frame. I did not want to cover all the black, as leaving some exposed gives more depth. I applied the wax lightly, skimming the texture of the dried Structure Paste with my fingers. The three colours together created the magic effect of worn/industrial/vintage – LOVE IT!
Once all the wax I wanted was applied, it was time to assemble my card. I added a sentiment from the new Mixed Media Stamp Set and some greyboard screws from my stash (which I also coloured with the same waxes).
That’s it from me, I hope you like it and you get the chance to play with the amazing Alchemy Waxes. I have to say I have used so many waxes, but the fact these are water-based and can be removed when you have a ham-handed moment, (as I often do) is brilliant!
See you soon, love,