Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Tuesday Tutorial - Sugar Skull Canvas by Kirsten Sheridan

Good morning, happy April. I hope you had a nice weekend. I've got an 8"x10" canvas board to show you today. I love Day of the Dead imagery, so when Imagination released the new Sugar Skull stencil recently I knew immediately what I wanted to create with it................




I painted the canvas first with black gesso & when that was dry I applied Bronze & White Gold Starlights through the Art Stencil MA25 (back in stock soon)............




The next step was to take some flower stencils, including:


and mask off all but one flower from each.....................




I gathered a selection of Chalk Paints, including Cornflower, Clover & Limestone, as well as some from my stash & began applying them through the stencils, layering up colours until I was happy.............




The Chalk paints dry very quickly, so I was able to start on the skull images immediately.
The crown & lower jaw of the skull are very close to the top & bottom edges of the stencil so I used Repositionable Tape to secure scrap pieces of card on the reverse. That protected the canvas from getting marked with Structure Paste...............




I applied the Structure Paste through the stencil & set the canvas aside to dry. Normally, Imagination Crafts' Structure Paste dries in about 15 minutes, but I'd applied a fairly thick layer, so I left it for an hour.....................




Now for the fun part; painting the skulls. I painted them with Pearl Starlights first, then began adding other colours. I used:





I used the tiny swirls on the Flower Bunch stencil to add detail to the cheeks & lower jaw bone & added dots of Pearl Starlights to the rest of the canvas.........




Finally, I filled in the open areas of the skulls & painted around the outside of them with black gesso. That's it!



ST Sugar Skull   ST Summer Blossom    ST Flower Bunch      

ST Poinsettia Large    Artist Canvas Board - 8 x 10" / 203.2mm x 254mm     ST Structure Paste      Repositionable Stencil Tape   Black Gesso    SM Spatula - JT3   18mm Stencil Brush      1/4" - 7mm Crafters Choice Stencil Brush

Thank you for visiting the Imagination Crafts' blog today. See you next time.

Kirsten













1 comment:

  1. Fabulous canvas even though I'm not a skull or skeleton person. Your work on this piece is amazing. Hugs Rita xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the blog & taking the time to leave a comment, we read them all & appreciate every one.